The Police and Crime Commissioner is responsible for holding the Chief Constable to account for maintaining an efficient and effective police service in Merseyside.
One of the ways the PCC undertakes this role, is through her Scrutiny Meetings.
The Commissioner uses her Scrutiny Meetings to monitor how Merseyside Police is progressing against the priorities set in her Police and Crime Plan and to scrutinise the performance of the Chief Constable and her team.
At these quarterly meetings, Chief Officers provide the Commissioner with a detailed account of progress in the previous quarter specifically in relation to the number of crimes reported and the performance of crimes against appropriate targets. She also has the opportunity to examine the budget and the projected savings plan.
These meetings also allow her to correctly identify the risk areas to the Force. This enables her to work with the Chief Officers to find improvements and alternative ways of tackling any issues.
Regular items will include:
- Progress towards objectives of the Police and Crime Plan;
- Monitor the Medium Term Financial Strategy;
- Keep abreast of all national and local developments with regard to police performance;
- Provide oversight of local performance and where necessary consider exception reports on the context of poor/outstanding performance;
- Regularly monitor performance of estate matters;
- Consider any issues regarding the Commissioner’s consultation and partnership arrangements with a view to maintaining their effectiveness in obtaining the views of the public;
- Monitor compliance and receive annual reports on the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Data Protection Acts;
- Monitor compliance of the Independent Custody Visitor and Animal Welfare Schemes.
The next Scrutiny Meeting will commence at 1.30pm on Thursday 16th June 2022.
You will be able to view the agenda and presentation here five days before the meeting. Please find these below:
- Agenda - 16th June 2022
- Minutes from the previous meeting on March 22, 2022
- Scrutiny Meeting presentation - 16th June 2022
Please find dates for future meetings of the Police Commissioner's Scrutiny Meetings:
- 1.30-4.30pm on Monday 19th September 2022;
- 1.30-4.30pm on Tuesday 20th December 2022;
- 10am-1pm on Thursday 9th March 2023.
Please use the links below to find the agendas and papers for previous Scrutiny Meetings, according to year. Please note, these meeting were previously called Force Inspections.