We want to make it as easy as possible for you to find the information you need.

The questions listed below cover the main queries we get on a regular basis. Most of the answers contain links to more detailed pages within this website or different sites where you will be able to get more information if you need it.

If there are any additional questions you would like to see added to the FAQ section, please let us know via email.

Who is Merseyside’s Police and Crime Commissioner?

Emily Spurrell is the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) for Merseyside. She was first elected  to be the PCC in May 2021 and re-elected in May 2024 with 61.7% of the public vote.

Find out more about Emily Spurrell.

What is the role of the Police and Crime Commissioner?

PCCs were brought in by the Government to replace Police Authorities.

Emily's aim is to ensure the policing needs of the community are met effectively and to oversee how the police and other organisations are tackling crime in Merseyside. She is accountable for how crime and community safety issues are addressed throughout the region.

It is her job to hold the Chief Constable to account and to ensure the Force is properly funded so that she can deliver an efficient and effective service. The role includes the power to set the policing budget of over £420 million.

You can find out more at About PCCs.

PCCs must publish information about their decisions and activities. Emily is committed to being transparent as works to serve you the tax payer. You can find a lot of this information in our Down to Business section. 

How much is the Police and Crime Commissioner paid?

The PCC's pay is set by the Home Secretary. The pay each PCC receives varies across the country, depending on the size of the Force. The Police Commissioner for Merseyside is paid £86,700 per year.

Who holds the Police and Crime Commissioner to account?

The Police and Crime Panel (PCP) holds the PCC to account.

The Police and Crime Panel is a body made up of local elected councillors and independent members with the responsibility to scrutinise and support the work of the PCC. They make sure she is holding the Chief Constable to account and performing her role effectively.

Who works for the Police and Crime Commissioner?

The Police Commissioner has a small team of people who help to support her work and help her realise her vision for policing, community safety and criminal justice in Merseyside. The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner (OPCC) is a non-political, impartial organisation.

Meet the Team

How much does the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner cost?

Information on the cost of the OPCC can be found in our Money section.

How do I apply for funding from the Police and Crime Commissioner?

Although the Police Commissioner is unable to provide sponsorship or donations, there are limited funding opportunities linked to certain ‘pots’ that the Commissioner has available each year to provide grant funding, or commission services from various organisations or charities across Merseyside. 

Each of these funding streams is however subject to specific terms and conditions. 

Find out more about the funding pots which are available using the link below:

Please note, the PCC is unable to help with ad hoc requests for funding.

Grants and Funding

I’d like to volunteer, how can I get involved?

There are lots of different options for getting involved with the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner and Merseyside Police. This includes volunteering for the Independent Custody Visiting, Animal Welfare or Appropriate Adults schemes.

You can also make a difference in your community by joining the Neighbourhood Watch scheme or encouraging your organisation to sign up to the Merseyside Domestic Abuse Workplace scheme.

Get Involved

Merseyside Police provides lots of volunteering roles, offering exciting opportunities to work alongside the Force and help to make communities on Merseyside safer.

This includes working as a Special Constable and a volunteer Police Cadet.

Find out about these roles and how to apply here

Can you help with my studies / dissertation?

The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner do on occasion receive requests for help from students in regards to dissertations and research papers. Where possible, the PCC and her office will do their best to help with these requests but it does depend on the subject matter and requirements. Each request will be considered on a case-by-case basis.Contact Us

Where can I go for help if I have been a victim of crime?Victim Care Merseyside Website

Victim Care Merseyside is the Police and Crime Commissioner’s dedicated package of support for all victims of crime living in Merseyside, tailored to your individual needs.

Victim Care Merseyside consists of a hub of trained staff acting as a single point of contact for all victims and survivors, offering access to free, confidential advice and support.

It also includes a range of specialist support services delivered by 10 independent local organisations providing bespoke, dedicated care to the most vulnerable victims of crime.

Finally, the Victim Care Merseyside service includes a website www.victimcaremerseyside.org which provides a wealth of information and advice, as well as a directory of more than 60 organisation offering support to victims across Merseyside.

You can contact Victim Care Merseyside by:

  • Calling Freephone 0808 175 3080 on weekdays between 8am and 6pm.
  • Requesting support by submitting a contact form at victimcaremerseyside.org at any time.

How can I be included on the Victim Care Merseyside website?

If you work for an organisation that support victims which is not currently featured on the Victim Care Merseyside website, please let us know by emailing the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner.

How do I make a complaint?

The Commissioner is only responsible for recording and investigating complaints that relate to the Chief Constable.

All other complaints are sent onto the ‘appropriate authority’. For most complaints this is Merseyside Police, but for very serious complaints it would be the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), formerly the Independent Police Complaints Commission.


If you have a complaint about the Commissioner or her Office, the appropriate authority to contact is the Police and Crime Panel.

How do I get more information about police matters / my case?

Operational matters are under the control of the Chief Constable and do not fall within the PCC’s remit.

She is therefore unable to become involved in queries about the way the police is run or any operations. She is also unable to respond to any queries relating to individual cases or complaints (unless they are against the Chief Constable).

If you do have any queries relating to Merseyside Police matters, you should contact them directly. Please find all Merseyside Police's contact details.

How can I get in touch with the Police and Crime Commissioner?

Contact Us