Have your say on police funding & plans to recruit 40 new officers

Merseyside’s Police Commissioner is asking local people if they would be willing to pay a little extra through the police precept, which is collected alongside the council tax, to help protect 100 police officer jobs and recruit 40 new officers.

The public consultation launched by Jane Kennedy follows the budget announcement in December where the Government said local council precept payers must pay more to avoid further cuts in police jobs.

Since 2010 Merseyside Police have already been required to make cuts of £110m, with an estimated £14.5m still to make by 2022/23. In that time, the size of the organisation has reduced by a quarter, with 1,110 fewer police officers now patrolling the region’s streets. This increase in the precept would enable the Chief Constable to avoid the planned cut of 100 police posts and instead, increase the number of police officer posts by 40.


There are several organisations responsible for dealing with police complaints. To make sure you get a quick and appropriate response, use the information on this page to help you send your complaint to the right place.

Please note, the Police and Crime Commissioner can only review complaints about Merseyside Police’s Chief Constable.

If you have a complaint about a police officer, member of police staff, police community support officer or special constable of Merseyside Police, you should:

Professional Standards Department,
PO Box 59,
L69 1JD

Please note, Police Misconduct Hearings are now held in public and chaired by a legally qualified Chair. You can find out more about these hearings here.

Complaints against the Chief Constable

The Commissioner is responsible for recording and investigating complaints against the Chief Constable. If you want to complain about the Chief Constable then please contact us by:

  • Writing to:

Chief Executive
Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Merseyside,
Wavertree Road Police Station,
Wavertree Road,
L7 1RJ.

Complaints about the Commissioner or her office

You can find the full complaints procedure for the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Merseyside by using the link below. This includes how to make a complaint about the Police and Crime Commissioner or a member of her office.

View the Full Complaints Procedure

The appropriate authority for complaints made against the Commissioner is the Police and Crime Panel.

The Police and Crime Panel are responsible for initial recording of complaints and conduct matters and for referring any complaints which allege criminality to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), previously the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). Where complaints do not allege criminality, the panel is responsible for handling and informally resolving these complaints.

The Panel's complaint handling policy and all complaints received about the Commissioner are recorded through the Monitoring Complaints Report. You can find these reports here.