The Police and Crime Commissioner is responsible for holding the Chief Constable to account for maintaining an efficient and effective police service in Merseyside.
One of the ways the PCC undertakes this role, is through Force Inspection meetings.
The Commissioner uses her Force Inspection meetings to monitor how Merseyside Police is progressing against the priorities set in her Police and Crime Plan and to scrutinise the performance of the Chief Constable and her team.
At these quarterly meetings, Chief Officers provide the Commissioner with a detailed account of progress in the previous quarter specifically in relation to the number of crimes reported and the performance of crimes against appropriate targets. She also has the opportunity to examine the budget and the projected savings plan.
These meetings also allow her to correctly identify the risk areas to the Force. This enables her to work with the Chief Officers to find improvements and alternative ways of tackling any issues.
Regular items will include:
- Progress towards objectives of the Police and Crime Plan;
- Monitor the Medium Term Financial Strategy;
- Keep abreast of all national and local developments with regard to police performance;
- Provide oversight of local performance and where necessary consider exception reports on the context of poor/outstanding performance;
- Regularly monitor performance of estate matters;
- Consider any issues regarding the Commissioner’s consultation and partnership arrangements with a view to maintaining their effectiveness in obtaining the views of the public;
- Monitor compliance and receive annual reports on the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and Data Protection Acts;
- Monitor compliance of the Independent Custody Visitor and Animal Welfare Schemes.
In the interest of transparency, these meetings are open to the public. This ensures that you can also monitor the Force’s progress can also be monitored by the public.
The next Force Inspection will last approximately three hours and will commence at 9.30am on Thursday 3rd June 2021.
Please find the dates for all future scheduled Force Inspection meetings below:
- Tuesday 7th September 2021;
- Tuesday 2nd December 2021.
Please use the links below to find the agendas and papers for previous Force Inspection meetings, according to year.