National charity Get Safe Online is the UK’s leading source of unbiased, factual and easy-to-understand information on online safety.
Through it's website, Get Safe Online provides practical advice on how to protect yourself, your computers and mobiles device and your business against fraud, identity theft, viruses and many other problems encountered online.
The site also contains guidance on many other related subjects too – including performing backups and how to avoid theft or loss of your computer, smartphone or tablet. It includes information on topics ranging from shopping online safely to gaming and dating.
Visit Get Safe Online
Get Safe Top 10
- Make sure your computer has up-to-date internet security software, switched on.
- Don’t reveal personal information on social networking sites.
- Regularly backup the data on your computer and smartphone/tablet.
- Never reveal your password or PIN when asked to do so by email or on the phone.
- Make sure your wireless network is secure at all times.
- Be careful who you are selling to and buying from on auction sites.
- Choose strong passwords, change them regularly and don’t tell anybody what they are.
- When shopping, paying or banking online, always make sure the website is secure.
- Always download the latest software and operating system updates when prompted.
- Remember your smartphone is also a target for viruses and spyware.